Sunday, August 16, 2009

An Update to my Update :)

Since writing the last post, nothing has changed in an employment sense, but I wanted to let you know some of the things God has been teaching me. I still struggled this week with fatigue and the unknown, but that faith – confidence – that God will come through in the 11th hour – so that He alone will receive the glory – has been growing in me.

It helped that we were reading in the beginning of Judges, and I was reminded of the story of Gideon and the 300 men (Judges 6:11-7:25). (Bear with me if you know the story… :) ) There are many things in this story that I don’t fully understand but the wisdom I was supposed to glean from it this time was this – Gideon and an army of 32,000 men were to defeat an army that was “as numerous as locus covering the valley; and their camels were without number, as numerous as the sand of the seashore.” That sounds like a lot of warriors. To me, it would be overwhelming. Then an interesting thing happens. God begins to have Gideon send some of his army home! And not just a few! Only 300 men are left to fight this vast army. Here’s what struck me - the reason that God gives for instructing Gideon to do this is this, “The Lord said to Gideon, ‘The people who are with you are too many for Me to give Midian into their hands, lest Israel become boastful, saying, ‘My own power has delivered me.’’” (!!!) God reminded me that He does what we see as impossible so that there is no doubt that it is He who delivers us! “Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we will trust in the name of the Lord our God!” (Ps 20:7) Although I am to be faithful and actively pursue employment, it will ultimately be God who provides for me, not my stellar cover letter and resume skills. ;)

Again, a week later, I spent the evening with the church. It was so heartening to hear different perspectives on what we read and to see how they all fit together to encourage each of us. I am sharpened by seeing how others interact with God and live out their faith in Him. And I am strengthened by their support and encouragement to keep pressing on and believe that He will provide for me.

Speaking of which, as I looked over my finances this last week, (and a few timely reimbursement checks came in the mail, along with a few more hours working for friends), it looks like I have almost half the money so far for my September bills – Thank You Lord!!

(I’ll confess – I have had a “glass half empty” moment and thought – but I still have a lot to go – but I’m going to take that thought captive and rejoice in God’s provision – one day at a time!!!)

I was also reminded this week, that in my weakness – He is strong! He is stretching me and helping me learn what this means in new ways. Ways that I won’t be able to understand unless I go through seasons like this where I feel my weaknesses so acutely!

Well, I’m going to try to go back to sleep. :) I couldn’t sleep – this post kept going over and over in my mind… So I decided to get up and put it down on paper – or in this case, on microchips. :)

I would love to share in your journey! When you have time, please drop me a note about how you are doing and how I can be an encouragement to you.

Still clinging to Him, Kerrie

(This just in: I just received information that the cost of my health insurance is going up considerably – again! This is the second increase since I left my job [it is kinda like a COBRA plan, I can’t get individual HI]. In addition, my coverage ends in October. I thought I would have insurance through a job by the time this ran out. So if I don’t, that’s another prayer request – I’m not sure what to do about it…)

No comments: